The American Dental Association recommends that you visit the dentist every six months for a routine dental check-up. At Downtown Dental, your visit will include a thorough exam, x-rays, and a high-tech professional cleaning to improve your health, prevent disease, and enhance the appearance of your smile.
How We Can Help
By using the latest in dental technology, we can ensure your professional cleaning will be efficient and pain-free. After reviewing your x-rays and dental records, your dentist will do a thorough exam of your oral cavity to uncover any areas of weakness, decay, inflammation or infection in the teeth and gums. We will also screen for oral cancer, gum disease, and other oral health issues. When your examination is complete, we will proceed with the following steps to provide you with a thorough professional cleaning:
- Removing Plaque and Tartar – Using a tool called a scaler, your dental hygienist will remove harmful plaque and tartar from between the teeth and along your gum line. This method will allow us to clean off tartar that cannot be removed through normal brushing and flossing.
- High-Powered Brushing – Your dental hygienist will then utilize a high-powered electrical toothbrush and gritty toothpaste for a deep cleaning and polishing on each individual tooth, removing any remaining stains and tartar that could wreak havoc on your oral health over time.
- Expert Flossing – Removing plaque and food debris from between the teeth is critical for preventing decay and gingivitis. A professional flossing will remove particles from between the teeth that even the most avid flossers may have missed.
- Fluoride Treatment – To protect your teeth from decay and sustain the benefits of your professional cleaning for several months, your dental hygienist may provide a fluoride treatment. You will simply need to bite on a tray filled with a foam-like substance for one minute to receive the numerous benefits of this treatment.
Why You Should Schedule a Cleaning Every Six Months
While a professional cleaning only takes 30 minutes to an hour, the benefits of this preventative treatment are long-lasting. If you’re looking for a little extra incentive to schedule your biannual cleaning, consider the following reasons to book today:
- Improve your overall health. Your oral health and your overall well-being are intrinsically linked. For example, gum disease can lead to severe issues like heart disease, respiratory illness, and premature birth. Halitosis (or bad breath) can be symptomatic of stomach issues. By scheduling your regular cleaning, you can prevent and diagnose health issues before they begin.
- Prevent disease. Gum disease is caused by plaque and bacteria hidden on your teeth. By scheduling regular cleanings, you can prevent plaque from building up and causing gingivitis, an infection of the gums that leads to gum disease.
- Eliminate tartar buildup. When plaque has been left on your teeth for too long, it turns to a dark-tinted deposit on your teeth known as tartar. Unfortunately, tartar cannot be brushed away with a toothbrush, but must be removed by a professional during your cleaning.
- Fight tooth decay. Over time, the harmful acids released by plaque can lead to tooth decay. If left untreated, this decay can become both painful and costly, even requiring root canal procedures and crowns in severe cases. Professional cleanings will allow you to eliminate this plaque before it can become problematic.
- Save money. Regular cleanings allow you to prevent having to receive costly restorative procedures like gum disease treatments, root canals, and more. A pain-free preventative cleaning can save you a lot of money in the long-run!
- Enhance your smile. A healthy smile is a beautiful smile. Professional cleaning treatments will remove harmful tartar and unpleasant stains to give you a smile you can be proud of!
Want to schedule your professional cleaning in our convenient Chicago office? Call Downtown Dental today!